Bike Rack Grant Program
Bicycling is a mode of alternative transportation that has had tremendous growth in ridership all over the United States. Bicycle tourism generates $83 billion annually in “trip” related sales in the United States.
THE NEED FOR BIKE RACKS
The Colony is participating in this surging trend of trail building. In 2016, The Colony Community Development Corporation updated the Trails and Bikeways Master Plan and it was adopted by the City Council in early 2017. The Master Plan provides a playbook for future trails and bikeways throughout the community. Key elements in the plan are routes to important destinations. From 2017 through 2019 the city has dedicated over $2.4 million from the Community Development Corporation funds, for trail projects to many important destinations. With increased bicycle ridership, it becomes increasingly important to have the facilities necessary for riders once they reach their destinations.
THE COLONY BIKE RACK GRANT PROGRAM
As part of an economic development initiative the Community Development Corporation has developed a grant to offer assistance to local businesses who want to provide bike parking amenities to the bicycling citizens and visitors to the community. In 2017, the City of The Colony dedicated funding specifically for bike racks, both at City parks and facilities and to develop a bike grant program for businesses. The grant program provides the bike rack/s to selected businesses and the business owner is responsible for installing the bike rack and maintaining it from that point forward.
Participants in the program must meet the following criteria:
- The business must be within the city limits of the City of The Colony, Texas
- Business owner must commit to a timely schedule to install the bike rack
- The location of the bike rack must be approved by The City. If an appropriate concrete space is not available, the business owner will be required to install a concrete pad in an appropriate area prior to installing the bike rack
- Business owner must commit to maintain the bike rack from that point forward or risk having the bike rack removed or paying the full cost of the bike rack if damaged
- Approved businesses will receive one bike rack. Additional bike racks are available for purchase.